Appledore is a small Kent village with a long history. In AD 892 ‘Apuldre’ then a port on an estuary was invaded by a huge Danish Army who sailed up the sea creeks, plundered, slaughtered and burnt most of the then settlement. The next attack was from the French who burnt the village and damaged the church during their raids along the coast. However the village was rebuilt in the 13th century this time under the protection of the church and although after the great storms of 1286 closed the mouth of the channel at Romney Appledore continued to trade via a small sea creek. Today the royal military canal, the only waterway, stretches along the Appledore Road to Rye in one direction and Walland marsh in the other making for great country walks along its tree lined banks.
Nowadays this pretty well kept village, with a collection of ancient dwellings, grand houses, farms and cottages on either side of a long main street still centres around the lovely old church of St Peter and St Paul. Throughout the year the villagers host many events, the Flower Festival, Open Gardens, The Strawberry Fair, The Harvest Festival and wonderful Christmas markets. The local store and post office is open all hours and the Black Lion pub, in the centre of the village, serves traditional home cooked food. Other retailers include a bridal boutique, an antique emporium and a high class tea room, ‘Miss Mollits’ whose cream teas, cakes and pastries are second to none.
Situated 6 miles from Rye.